Tuesday, September 8, 2009

new challenge -Spoon ring

Trawling through Trademe yesterday I came across this amazing ring, I had to get it. I'd seen one on the net before which made me keen to hunt one down. It's made from a silver teaspoon from the 1930's. Apparently it was really big in the 1970's to make them, all you do is cut off the bowl of the spoon and file the rough end then bend/shape the ring around something round using a rubber mallet (sterling silver is easiest to work with as stainless steel is too strong unless you have a blow torch handy).

So I'm waiting for my ring to arrive and in the mean time I'm off to search all the antique shops I can find in hopes of stumbling across some gorgeous teaspoons to try it out myself! Might have to have a few practices yet though, I'll be sure to post!

No comments:

Post a Comment