Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Boat hair


I know three posts in one day, greedy but I can't help myself.

Curiosity got me when I passed by an image of Marie Antoinette and her crazy amazing hair do's with boat ornaments, it got me to thinking why boats? I mean it's not just her who had them they are prevalent throughout but then again she was a style icon if not THE style icon of the time - we could have her to thank or to blame?...

Short history lesson: The boat turns out to have been more than just an ornament, it represented a ship called La Belle Poule to celebrate the victory of a battle fought. Apparently Rococo hair styles were all a big competition -who could create the most novel and elborate hair do that would have the wearer gossiped about for weeks. Like all fashion trends the boat was a fleeting design that would have lasted only a few weeks before it had made the rounds at every ball and became 'old News'

Will stop babbling now... if you want/ feel the need to know more (as I have) then you know how to google.

No comments:

Post a Comment